After firing, the pieces have the look of the one above on the left. The ammonite pendant on the right has been cleaned with a brass brush. I would have finished it with burnishing and a red rouge polish, but I decided to try an iridescent patina on it, so I wanted there to be more tooth available.
The liver of sulfur formula I used was provided by Katherine Palochak on Ganoksin. She has written up wonderful directions, which I followed pretty much to the letter. I can't think of any way to improve on them, and even though they are a bit of work, please try them out...I think you'll be very pleased!
After dousing this piece four times in the liver of sulfur mixture, I used the brass brush again lightly to clean off the high places. It leaves a wonderful oil-on-water luster, which is hard to capture in photographs, but I believe that you can sort of catch the glint in the photo above.
I mentioned the piece that I hit with Thompson's enamels before firing the other day. It's interesting that after being cleaned up, it much more closely appears bronze than copper. Here's a picture for comparison. I won't be doing this again anytime soon, but it's nice to know!
Copyright 2009 Cyndi Lavin. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags:handmade beaded jewelry,wearable art,beads,jewelry,necklace,mixed media,beading