When I found these pretty gold-plated filigree rounds, I knew that they were destined to become the delicate supports for a pearl necklace. I chose rose hued fresh water pearls, but you could substitute whatever color you wanted, or use completely different beads instead!
Materials & Tools
22 mm gold-plated filigree rounds, 9
Fresh water pearl, 35
2mm gold-plated rounds, 56
2” gold-plated head pins, 19
24” of 24 gauge gold colored wire, cut into 3” pieces
12” gold-plated stringing wire, .015” diameter
4 gold-plated crimp beads
Gold-plated chain, 3 - 4”
Round nose pliers
Flat nose pliers
1. Slide a pearl and a 2 mm gold-plated round onto 18 head pins. Create a wrapped loop with each so that there are 2 dangles hanging from the bottom of each of 9 filigree rounds.
2. Connect the filigree rounds together as follows: Turn a small wrapped loop around the upper side hole of one filigree round using a 3” piece of 24 gauge wire. Slide on a pearl between two gold rounds, and create another wrapped loop around the next filigree round. Continue connecting in this way until all 9 are linked.
3. Cut your piece of beading wire in half. Crimp one piece to each outside filigree round. Add 3-4 inches of pearls and 2mm gold-plated rounds. I alternated 2 gold-plated rounds with each pearl.
4. On one end, crimp the wire around a hook, and work the end back through the last two gold-plated rounds. Clip the wire end off close. On the other end, crimp the wire around a length of chain to make the necklace adjustable. Make sure the chain links are big enough to accommodate the hook.
5. Create a dangle with the last head pin, sliding on a pearl between two gold-plated rounds. Wrap a loop around the free end of the chain. You can wear this necklace snug like a choker, or longer if it suits your clothing neckline.
Copyright 2014 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags: bead embroidery,handmade beaded jewelry,wearable art,beads,jewelry,necklace,mixed media,beading