1. Here are some of the old ceramic insulators that I scavenged from my attic. Some of them have a bit of shiny glaze on them, but most are just smooth but unfinished ceramic.
2. I used a lampwork bead mandrel to suspend the insulator over a paper-lined bowl for decorating.
3. India ink applied all over the surface, and down into the holes at each end as far as I could reach.
4. I dusted the dried insulator with Pearl Ex powders.
5. Two or three coats of Future Floor Finish gives it a nice glossy look and seals in the powders.
6. After forming the wire fitting, I added and chain and some fibers to finish it off.
Copyright 2013 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags: bead embroidery,handmade beaded jewelry,wearable art,beads,jewelry,necklace,mixed media,beading