I received a wonderful package of beads recently from Jesse James Beads, all from their new Tribal Stripes line. It's part of their Afrika Afrika collection, new for late summer/fall. Why did they send them to me? So I could make some projects that you might enjoy doing!
Materials + Tools
Jesse James Beads
Tribal Stripes inspiration bead mix
Tribal Stripes mini bead mix
Seed beads, size 11/0
Seed beads, size 15/0
Nymo beading thread, black, size O
Foundation fabric, like ultra-suede
Double sided tape
1. Use a small piece of double sided tape to position your focal bead. Stitch it down and surround it closely with back stitched matte black size 11/0 seed beads to stabilize it.
2. Continue to add rows of back stitch in color combinations that please you. A few rows out, add some smaller focal beads for variety.
3. Add a couple more rows of back stitch, and cut out your pendant, leaving about 1/8 inch of foundation fabric. Use double sided tape to attach backing fabric, and cut it even with the top.
4. Stitch around the outside through both pieces of fabric using edging brick stitch. Add stack stitches to each edging stitch, making the ones near the bottom more elaborate if you'd like. I also added a dangling bead from the Tribal Stripes collection.
5. Add a square stitch bail to the back. I usually use eleven rows with size 11/0 seed beads.
If you need more details for any of the instructions, step-by-step instructions for putting together a bead embroidered piece, including back stitch, edging brick stitch, and stack stitch can be found in the free first chapter of Every Bead Has a Story. Chapter two has instructions for stitching a peyote stitch bezel, and Chapter three teaches the square stitch bail.
This post contains affiliate links: Jesse James Beads and Beadaholique. I received the beads from Jesse James Beads free of charge in order to create several projects at no cost for you.
Copyright 2017 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.