Well, it was bound to happen. I am now officially on a "kick" of creating these small pendants in every color combo that I can manage. I didn't take any process shots of this one because it all happened too fast! But I can tell you how I made it:
1. Stitch down a round(ish) flat bead for a central cabochon. Stitch a peyote bezel around it with size 11/0 seed beads and size 15/0s at the top.
2. Add the bead embroidery form of chevron chain stitch around three-quarters or more of the cabochon.
3. Stitch size 8/0 seed beads into the "holes" formed by the chevron stitches.
4. Add some pressed glass flowers, leaves, or other shapes to the remaining empty space. Stitch small stacks with size 6/0 and 11/0 seed beads around the outside of the chevrons.
5. Cut out the pendant and a matching piece of backing fabric. Stitch them together using edging brick stitch, and add stacks of size 11/0 seed beads topped with size 15/0s around the edge. Stitch through the edging beads to add some drop beads to the bottom, using size 11/0s.
6. Add a square stitched bail to the back of your pendant.
All of my seed beads came from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads.
The central bead cabochon, drops, flowers, and leaves came from The Best Beads.
Instructions for motifs:
Bored By Back Stitch will teach you how to create twelve different bead embroidery motifs, using nine different beadweaving stitches. Learn how beadweaving stitches can be morphed into beautiful bead embroidered motifs, created to surround and enhance your cabochons or accent beads.
The specific motifs you will learn are designs that use embroidered forms of basic peyote, Cellini spiral peyote, brick, Russian spiral, herringbone, chevron chain, right angle weave, square, African helix, and double or single St Petersburg chain. In addition, there are step-by-step instructions for three projects to help you use your motifs. The e-book is available now, 127 pages, $3.00 US.
Copyright 2014 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags: bead embroidery,handmade beaded jewelry,wearable art,beads,jewelry,necklace,mixed media,beading