Awhile ago, I was trying to work out an idea that I had for a necklace strap. I never ended up using the results for that necklace (doesn't it figure?), but I do like the pattern I came up with. Probably someone has worked this out before, but I don't know who, or what it would be called. If you recognize it, please let me know...all I can say is that I came up with it independently and am calling it a Floral Chain.
I used size 6/0s and 8/0s so that it would be easier to photograph. After trying it out, if you'd like to make it smaller and more delicate, feel free to experiment with 8/0s and 11/0s, or with 11/0s and 15/0s.
1. Pick up 10 6/0 seed beads and form a circle. Tie a knot and pass through 2 more beads.
2. Add 3 8/0 seed beads and stitch picots over every other 6/0 bead in the base row, five times. After the fifth picot with 8/0s, pass through 2 6/0 beads, exiting from one of the beads underneath a picot. Pass the needle out from the back of the link.
3. Pick up 9 6/0s and make a circle up and over the first link. Pass the needle back through the first 6/0 bead in the circle, which is the bead from the previous link. Pass the needle from front to back, exiting out the back of the link again.
4. Flip the links over and pass the needle through 2 more 6/0 beads in the new link. Add 3 8/0s and stitch picots over every other 6/0, 3 times.
5. Flip the links over again, and create another picot, passing through the 6/0 from the previous link.
6. Flip the links over again, and add one more picot to complete the link.
7. Pass the needle through 4 more 6/0s in the circle and bring the needle out from the back to start the next link.
8. Repeat steps 3 through 7 as many times as needed.
Copyright 2010 Cyndi Lavin. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
The Best Seed Bead Books:
The Art & Elegance of Beadweaving by Carol Wilcox Wells
Art of Seed Beading by Elizabeth Gourley
Bead Romantique by Lisa Kan
Beading With Brick Stitch by Diane Fitzgerald
Beading With Herringbone Stitch by Vicki Star
Beading With Peyote Stitch by Jeannette Cook
Beading With Right Angle Weave by Christine Prussing
Creative Bead Weaving by Carol Wilcox Wells
Zulu Beaded Chain Techniques by Diane Fitzgerald
Seed Bead Fusion by Rachel Nelson-Smith
Technorati Tags:handmade beaded jewelry,wearable art,beads,jewelry,necklace,mixed media,beading